Certificate in Professional Coaching
Core Coaching Skills
The Core Coaching Skills is the initial three face-to-face delivery days and includes the following topics.
By the end of these three days, you'll gain coaching tools to help you develop deeper, more meaningful relationship for being a positive change for the world.
- Introduction to Commencement and Completion tools
- Definition of Coaching - what it is and what it is not
- World Views in Coaching
- The NPCA World View
- The qualities of a NPCA Coach
- Vulnerability and Intimacy
- At My Best Model - a self-awareness exercise
- Introduction to the North Point Meta-Model (NPM) - Thoughts, Feelings, Actions, Impact
- Characteristics of a coaching conversation
- Content vs Process
- Giving Feedback
- Levels of Attention model
- Active Listening
- Powerful Questions
- Process Tools & Conversational Model
- Direct Communication, Replaying and Rephrasing, Reframing, Intuiting
- Defining Actions - SMART
- Coaching Practice
- The Journey Coaching Model
- Coaching Practice
- Goal Setting - NPCA Goal Creation Mapping Process
- Practical Coaching Session
- Visualisation Exercise
Deepening the Coaching Experience (Mid-Term)
The Deepening the Coaching Experience module is a one-day face-to-face training.
- Values & Values Practice Session
- NPM at a Deeper Level & Practice Session
- Self Assessment
- Coaching Practice Session and Group Mentoring
- How to obtain your first pro-bono client
Empowering the Coaching Experience
The final module of the NPCA Certificate in Professional Coaching is a two day face-to-face training module entitled Empowering the Coaching Experience.
The final module is two days face-to-face with the intention to empower you for your new role as an NPCA coach.
At the end of the first day, you'll have built on and practiced your coaching skills and received high-quality feedback from both the trainers and your peers through observed coaching practice and group mentoring session
On the second day, we review the characteristics of a NPCA coach, discuss the importance of finding a niche, and introduce tools that are useful in different niches. These are also skills that will help you to prepare for your new role as an NPCA in whichever sphere you are in.
- Use of the NPM with Realise and Visualise
- Coaching Practice of The Journey using the NPM
- Observed Coaching and Group Mentoring
- Introduction to Niches
- Coaching Niches
- Impact Ladder Tool
- Becoming a NPCA Coach
The group of six Virtual Forums are 90 minute interactive webinars.
The webinars focus on the practical skills of taking our clients through a set of coaching engagements starting with the initial session with a potential client right through to the closing session.
- Virtual Forum #1: The initial session
- Virtual Forum #2: Establishing the coaching agreement
- Virtual Forum #3: The standard session
- Virtual Forum #4: Managing the coaching journey: maintaining accountability
- Virtual Forum #5: Managing the coaching journey: working with client patterns
- Virtual Forum #6: The closing session
The NPCA Virtual Forums are delivered online through web-based software. This technology facilitates small breakout discussion rooms, sharing slides, using the Chat function and enabling interactive discussions.
Students prepare for the call in advance through pre-reading and self-study and the facilitator uses probing questions and high-level discussion to support the student learning.
10 x 1hr Mentor Sessions from an ICF credentialed coach
Six of these sessions are given to support the learning needs of the student coaches throughout the 16-week program itself.
The remaining four sessions are delivered after the completion of the course to assist with the further preparation towards the students ICF ACC credential. These four remaining Mentor Sessions are available for one year from the start of the program.
The content of the Mentor Sessions depends on the specific goals, learning needs and challenges set by the Mentee. The mentor will spend time discussing the self-study aspects of the course as well as observing coaching sessions in order to give feedback.
The Mentor Sessions are mainly one-on-one sessions with up to three group-mentoring sessions. These can be delivered by a mixture of face-to-face, telephone or online.
Coaching Practice Groups
12 x 1 hour sessions with fellow students
Students are required to take part in weekly coaching practice groups with their fellow students. Over the course of 16 weeks the expectation is to complete at least 12 coaching sessions both as a coach and as a coachee and giving/receiving feedback on coaching.
Reading and homework assignments
In between each of the training sessions, reading and homework assignments will be set in order to reflect on the reading and to prepare for the next training session. In addition, we encourage students to complete learning logs after trainings and coaching practice sessions.
We recommend that student’s spend approximately 1hr 30 per week on the self-study materials.